Chelsea defender Wesley Fofana is set to miss the rest of the season after undergoing surgery on a fresh hamstring injury.
Article continues below
Article continues below
Article continues below
Fofana had an injury-hit seasonChelsea ace suffers another setbackDefender set to miss rest of campaignFollow GOAL on WhatsApp! 🟢📱WHAT HAPPENED?
The 24-year-old had been out for three months with a hamstring injury and only just returned to first-team action last month. However, the Blues have revealed he has now been forced to have surgery on another muscle issue, and the Matt Law reports the centre-back's season is now over.
AdvertisementAFPTHE BIGGER PICTURE
Fofana has only made 14 appearances this season and he missed much of last campaign with a knee injury. The ex-Leicester City man has been short on luck since moving to Chelsea in 2022 for £75 million ($96.6m). The Frenchman will also not be available for this summer's Club World Cup, reports The Athletic.
WHAT CHELSEA SAID
In a statement, Chelsea said: "The club can confirm that defender Wesley Fofana has today undergone successful hamstring surgery. Wesley was assessed by specialists this week after the 24-year-old suffered an injury of the muscle. Following that assessment, it was concluded that an operation would be required. The 24-year-old will now begin his recovery and undergo rehabilitation with the club's medical staff at Cobham over the coming weeks. Everyone at the club is fully focused on supporting Wesley in his recovery."
GettyWHAT NEXT?
Chelsea boss Enzo Maresca will have to rely on Trevoh Chalobah, Levi Colwill, Tosin Adarabioyo, and Benoit Badiashile when it comes to centre-backs for the rest of the season. The Blues will look to strengthen their Champions League qualification hopes when they take on Brentford in the Premier League on Sunday.